20+ Impactful Service Projects
One of the best things about being a sorority woman is the impact you can make on your community. Service projects can be great bonding activities for your members, as well as personally rewarding. When the stress of exams, Greek Week, work and relationships get to be too much, service projects can be the perfect reset button. Forget about balancing everything and instead focus on helping others.
Service projects are also good PR for your chapter. Your projects show what is important to your members. Helping others in your community is always a good look! If you want to recruit members who care about others, show them how your current members make a difference. Check out these impactful service project ideas.
- Volunteer at an animal shelter.
- Help out at a soup kitchen.
- Read to elementary school students.
- Play bingo at a nursing home.
- Clean or paint at a women's shelter.
- Paint fingernails for nursing home residents.
- Assist with an animal shelter adoption and education event.
- Volunteer at community events for the city.
Okay, these are technically probably philanthropy ideas because you're donating resources, but I still appreciate the service aspect to these. Also, the hours spent setting up these projects could count as service, whereas the item donations will be philanthropies.
Donate at a blood drive.
Host a donation drive for needed items for charities - diapers, clothes, winter coats, business attire, toys, and more.
- Pick up litter on campus.
- Plant trees for the city.
- Plant flowers at a nursing home or shelter.
- Plant a garden for a local kids program.
Host an Event
- Host an egg hunt for a local kids program.
- Help set up for a party at a retirement community or local Boys & Girls Club.
- Host a bunco party at a retirement community.
- Host a trunk or treat for a local kids program.
Join an organization
- Get involved with Best Buddies.
- Volunteer with a mentorship program for elementary school kids through Youth & Shelter Services or Big Brothers/Big Sisters.
- Play games with kids at a Boys & Girls Club.
- Help with United Way activities or programs.
- Volunteer at Special Olympics, Relay for Life, or other special event.
- Volunteer as helpers for a Girl Scouts troop.
These are (mostly) all service ideas. Also check out 20+ philanthropy fundraiser ideas. Not sure what makes a project a philanthropy or service? Check out this article on the difference between service and philanthropy. Both are valuable and have positive impact. Also check out more resources for coordinating a donation drive.
What service projects will your chapter take on this year? How will you make an impact in your community?