Alumnae Event Ideas for Collegiate Chapters
Engaging alumnae is a priority for every chapter. Alumnae support is critical for advising, mentoring, and creating a lifelong membership experience. Check out these fun alumnae event ideas for collegiate chapters. If you're working on alumnae chapter events, check out this list of alumnae event ideas for alumnae chapters.
To engage a variety of alumnae, make sure to plan events on various days and times so alumnae with different schedules can attend. A mixture of family events, collegiate chapter events and campus events will provide options for alumnae.
- Alumnae Panel - Invite alumnae to participate in a panel discussion about one topic or multiple topics! They could offer advice on careers, finances, interview tips, and more. Use their expertise to build a program that's helpful for your members.
- Yoga Session - If any of your alumnae or members are yoga instructors, host a yoga session for alumnae and members.
- Egg Hunt - Host an egg hunt in the spring at your chapter facility. Invite alumnae and their families to hunt for eggs and end with muffins and lemonade in your dining area.
- Trick-or-Treat - Host a trick-or-treat in the fall at your chapter facility. Collegiate members could dress up and invite alumnae and their families to trick-or-treat at each personal room. Consider having themed coloring pages and face painting in your living area once the kids are done trick-or-treating.
- Mock Recruitment - Invite alumnae to a mock recruitment event where they are potential new members and receive house tours from collegiate members. Allow alumnae to share feedback and also recruitment memories.
- Chapter Open House - Host a chapter open house at Homecoming or another time of year and invite alumnae and families to get house tours.
- Picnic at the Park - Invite alumnae and families to join you at the park. You could host a shaved ice truck (or ice cream truck, whatever is local that you can order) for the alums and families. They could bring their kids and pets and get to know collegians and alums in a fun environment.
- Speed Dating - Create a speed dating event where alumnae and collegians sit down together for a short period of time (such as three minutes) and have a quick get-to-know-you conversation before they have to move on to the next person. This is also great practice for recruitment conversations! Have some refreshments such as mocktails and hors d'oeuvres to complete the party.
- Service Projects - Make blankets for a hospital, volunteer at an animal shelter, or coordinate bingo for a nursing home. Find more impactful service project ideas here.
- Bunco Party - Host a bunco party as another fun way to get to know alumnae. Bunco is a fun dice game where you rotate tables so you get to play with lots of different people. You could choose a dress up theme and have wacky prizes.
Invite alumnae to join you at chapter events or other local events. These may take less planning, just make sure to share dates, times and locations with alumnae early so they can save the dates.
- Recruitment - Alumnae could help with set up, in the kitchen, or with other recruitment tasks.
- Initiation - Invite alumnae to attend initiation to support the new initiates and welcome them into your sisterhood.
- Senior ceremony - Alumnae could participate in the ceremony for new alumnae and welcome them into their new stage of membership.
- Founders' Day - Partner with your local alumnae chapter on plans to recognize your founders.
- Philanthropies - Invite alumnae to join you at Relay for Life, Walk to End Alzheimer's, or your own philanthropy fundraiser.
- Greek Week or Homecoming performances - Invite alumnae to watch your chapter perform at talent shows or competitions on campus.
- Creating Facebook events and inviting alumnae an be very effective in spreading the word and getting on their calendars.
- Also consider sending out email invitations with the event information and featuring the events in your alumnae newsletter.
- Work with your local alumnae chapter officers on the best methods for inviting alumnae to ensure you get alumnae participation.
- Take photos and videos of the event to post on social media and in newsletters.
- Photo booths at events are always a great way to capture photos and videos.
- Delegate picture and video taking to specific members so you know you'll have lots of memories to share.
- Sharing these photos and videos will entice alumnae to attend future events and stay connected to the chapter.
Now you're ready to create a well-rounded calendar of alumnae events! Your alumnae strategy should also include active social media and newsletters. Learn more at Newsletter Topics for Parent and Alumnae Engagement and Social Media Strategy Tips.