Alumnae Event Ideas for Alumnae Chapters
How do you keep alumnae engaged in an alumnae chapter when you have multiple generations, different schedules, and lots of commitments? Check out this list of alumnae chapter event ideas to build your calendar. If you're working on collegiate chapter events, check out this list of alumnae event ideas for collegiate chapters.
Every alumnae chapter is different, but consider planning one to two events per month, on a variety of days and times so alumnae with different schedules can attend. A mixture of family events, collegiate chapter events, and alumnae-only events creates a well-rounded calendar.
- Plan a fundraiser for your sorority foundation. You could host a silent auction, a bowling tournament, or a yard sale. Find more philanthropy fundraiser ideas here.
- Play date at the park - Alumnae with kids will appreciate an opportunity to connect with other moms while their kids have fun.
- Family BBQ / potluck - Invite families to get together for a meal and connect with other alumnae.
Collegiate Chapter Events
- Recruitment - Offer assistance to the collegiate chapter during their recruitment events (maybe they could use help with set up or in the kitchen) or coordinate a mock recruitment event where alumnae act as potential new members and give alumnae house tours and practice conversation.
- Initiation - Attend initiation to support the collegiate members and welcome them into your sisterhood.
- Senior ceremony - Participate in the ceremony for new alumnae and welcome them to their new stage of membership.
- Founders' Day - Partner with the collegiate chapter on plans to recognize your founders.
- Philanthropies - Join the collegiate chapter for Relay for Life, Walk to End Alzheimer's, or their own chapter fundraisers.
- Finals Week Snack Attack - Get alumnae together for a dinner and then drop off treats at the chapter facility to encourage the women on their final exams.
- Happy Hour - Get alumnae together after work for a cocktail.
- Summer Brunch - Is there anything better than brunch on the patio in the summer with sister friends?
- Greek Alumnae Reunion - Some universities may coordinate Greek Alumni reunions in the fall during Homecoming. If there's not a local reunion in your area, consider coordinating one!
- Cycling event - Get alumnae together for a bike ride. You could start at a local bar, then cycle to another local favorite for Taco Tuesday.
- Dinner at a new local restaurant - It's fun to try new restaurants together in the area.
- Service project - Donate a meal to a Ronald McDonald House, make blankets for a hospital, or volunteer at an animal shelter. Find more impactful service project ideas here.
- Cookie exchange - Especially fun around the holidays, get alumnae together to drink wine, enjoy cookies and go home with a variety of treats!
- Book club - Ask members what books they want to read and discuss them over some wine and appetizers.
- Bunco party - Host this event at someone's house and ask a few alums to bring refreshments. Bunco is a fun dice game where you rotate tables so you get to play with lots of different people. You could choose a dress up theme and have wacky prizes. Consider combining this event with a winter warmth drive and donate items to a local nonprofit.
- Meal prep event - Our local grocery store hosts meal prep events where guests pay to make several freezer meals with no shopping and no cleaning! I know that I could use more meals in my freezer for nights where I don't have dinner planned.
- Wine tasting - Check out some local wineries together.
- Movie night - Get some ladies together for dinner and a new movie!
- Creating Facebook events to invite alumnae an be very effective in spreading the word and getting on their calendars. Post updates in the Facebook events to encourage alumnae to RSVP.
- Also consider sending out email invitations with the event information and featuring the events in your email newsletter.
- Make sure to take photos and videos of the event to post on social media and in newsletters.
- Photo booths at events are always a great way to capture photos and videos.
- Delegate picture and video taking to specific members so you know you'll have lots of memories to share.
- Sharing these photos and videos will entice alumnae to attend future events and stay connected to the sorority. You could also create an end-of-year video of all your activities and share it to encourage more alumnae to participate.